Recipe search here

03 February 2012

Clara’s Chicken and Corn Fritters with tomato salad


Some of my earliest memories are a chair propped up to the kitchen bench “helping” my Mum with stirring, whisking, mixing or filling muffin tins with gooey chocolate-banana goodness.  It must have been a proud day for my Mum when I was about 11 and started to do family “dinner parties” (which meant cooking a 3 course dinner for our family of 6, which my mum had done most nights forever!). Cooking delicious food for my family then, and now, always comes from the heart and a passion for providing flavoursome fresh food for those I love. Watching them devour a meal I have cooked for them is the best.  I am very aware than many people in the world do not share the same good fortune of a meal 3 times a day as we do in this lucky country, and was always taught to be very thankful for this.  I am also incredibly thankful for is my Miss 2 Yrs (a.k.a. My beautiful daughter Clara), who loves any opportunity for some “baking” (btw: ANY action in the kitchen is always called “baking”). The other day we went and picked our vegies straight from the patch and got to “baking” this simple midweek dinner. In fact, she did most of the mixing for this one, and loved every second of it squealing with excitement as I threw more ingredients in her mixing bowl! I hope my love of all things food will be pass down to her, somehow I think it already has :) With this recipe you can either fry the batter for a pikelet style fritter, or deep-fry for a juicy and fluffy little fritter. I experimented with both methods, but take your preference or serve up both if you like. Enjoy! Serves 4 for light dinner or summer lunch – kids love these.

Prep time: approx. 15 min. cooking time: about 25 min

Kitchen stuff needed: a grater, chopping board, frypan (if going pikelet method) or deep fryer/saucepan (if going fried), paper towels; 3 mixing bowls, sharp knife

Ingredients from the garden:
2 x cups Zucchini grated (1 big one)
1 x cob corn with kernels cut off (or 1 cup corn)
20 x cherry tomatoes
20 x basil leaves

Other Ingredients
3/4 x cup cooked chicken diced (about ½ a chicken breast)
2 x cups (250g) plain flour
1 x tablespoon baking powder
½ x teaspoon cumin
¼ x cup sugar (or to taste)
½ x teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper
2 x eggs, beaten
1 x cup (250ml) milk
125g x butter, melted
80g x finely grated cheese (I used parmesan, but use tasty or mozzarella if you like for extra cheesiness)
1 x avocado
1 x glove garlic
Oil for frying


Let’s do it:
Miss (Cheeky helper) Clara
1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and butter. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini, corn, chicken and cheese; mix well.
3. If deep-frying: heat the oil in a cast iron frypan on medium-high heat. Drop batter by the tablespoonful into hot oil. Fry until crisp and brown, turning once with tongs. Remove to paper towels.
4. If pan prying: heat a teaspoon of oil until hit, place large tablespoon of mixture and fry gently until small bubbles appear on top, turn over and cook the other side. Continue until you have made all.
5. Salad: half cherry to motes, rip up basil and chop a glove of garlic and toss in bowl with a little olive oil S & P.
6. Assemble your fritters and layer with a slice or 2 of avocado. Top with tomato salad and serve immediately.


Enjoy with a large glass of chilled Tarrawarra Rose.

Soundtrack for a Midweek dinner: United by Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment